Thursday, February 02, 2006

Muslim Humor

Last year I was preparing for a presentation on World Religions on campus, and I needed a few jokes to intersperse throughout the lengthy descriptions of the various faiths.

Christian jokes -- check
Jewish jokes -- check
Hindu jokes -- check
Buddhist jokes -- check
Muslim jokes -- ?

I had a very difficult time finding any truly Muslim jokes. I came across a few retreads, but I was surprised to see how scarce they were. It was then I realized that Muslims do not have a sense of humor about their religion.

This helps to explain the violent uproar over the Mohammed cartoons in Europe. One could argue that the cartoons weren't meant to be funny, but still, should we really be shocked when infidels mock religious beliefs? Isn't that why they're infidels?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I talked to some of my friends who are Muslims about this and they said that they and others have a slight sense of humor they have told some jokes about Muslims and people of other religions but they did say that they don’t do this very often and sent my this statement.

The verses in the Holy Qur’an forbid Muslims to insult anything that is viewed as a deity by any religion, regardless of whether it is a person, a stone, a stick or a tree. The verse 2:256 of the Qur’an says:
1. Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from Error: whoever rejects evil and believes in Allah has grasped the most trustworthy hand-hold, that never breaks. And Allah hears and knows all things.
Islam wants its adherents to be just to every human being.

They said that they and others feel that joking about a religion is a insult.
You can see my web-page at www.geocities.com/markdmil/religiousfreedom.html It gives info on many different religions and subjects.

12:48 AM  
Blogger Jill Pole said...

Albert Brooks has a new movie coming out called "Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World." I have no idea if it's any good, but it might address some of these issues. Might be worth checking out...

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home