Sunday, May 25, 2008

Need Inspiration, John 15

I don't quite know what causes inspiration. Whatever it is, I'm lacking it. I could talk about what I'm working on in philosophy, but I can't figure out how to translate it to a blog post yet.
I'll be doing some traveling soon -- perhaps that's just what I need. For now, here's a thought from a recent meditation on John 15. . .
I've wondered how many kinds of branches there are here. It seems like we've got 3:
(1) Branches "in Jesus" that are bearing fruit
(2) Branches "in Jesus" that are not bearing fruit
(3) Branches that are not "in Jesus" (and thus not bearing fruit)

This raises questions:
(i) Can one be "in Christ" and not bearing fruit?
(ii) What does he mean by "in me?" Is this equivalent to a branch's "abiding in Christ?"
(iii) Does Jesus (or John) intend to make any distinction between those who are positionally in Christ and those who are experientially abiding in Christ?

Thoughts?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is a stab. One can be in Christ in the sense that one is partaking in the covenant, but one is not acting on one's responsibilities. For example, one can be baptized and ignoring the plight of the poor.

5:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a blog idea...what are your thoughts on the Evangelical Manifesto? You can find a copy of the 20 page document at: www.anevangelicalmanifesto.com

Curtis

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home