Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Evolution, Pt. 5: What Are We Afraid Of?


Aside from bad grammar, what are we afraid of? Sometimes I just can't get over the inordinate displays of emotion connected to the evolution debate. I suppose many people are convinced that their faith, the very truth of Christianity, is at stake. I no longer see this as the issue. However, even if this was the issue, should we be afraid? Should we be trembling? Do we really see the church and her creeds as being so fragile and tenuous that they might topple over at any time? God forbid.

What of scientists? Why are they so dogmatic and red-in-the-face concerning Darwin and his Holy Inquisition? Are they afraid their 100+ years of research and bone-digging will be wisked away with the next breeze? May it never be!

Then wherefore our fears? Why is it easier to conduct a middle-east peace summit than an affable debate on evolution?

The next time you feel your pulse race and your palms sweat at the first mention of Duane Gish or Australopithecus, ask yourself, "What am I afraid of?" Perhaps we can banish the spectre that looms over this debate and begin to make some progress through friendly, rational discourse.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jill Pole said...

I would LOVE to be part of that conversation. Primarily because I don't understand the arguments on either side. I know that I think, but to be completely honest -- my opinion is just that, an opinion. It's certainly not backed up with very much data. I would love to listen in on a friendly discussion of both sides of this issue.

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home