Friday, April 01, 2005

"Middlers"


I feel the need to identify a new species of participant in this debate: the "middlers." I have dubbed them thus due to my inability to shoehorn them into my false dichotomy. Stubborn middlers.

But seriously folks, I didn't intend to misrepresent anyone. I only mentioned the polar opposites because therein lie the real sources of the problem. I know many of you are quite level-headed and have approached the debate with fair and balanced judgment.

I would encourage all of us, however, to take a minute or two to examine ourselves and our attitudes. If you were being dogmatic or disrespectful of the opposition, you probably wouldn't realize it without some reflection or outside input. That's why we call 'em "blind spots." So, pause for a moment, look in the mirror, and say, "I'm reasonable, I'm respectful, and doggone it, I'm the humblest guy I know."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I take offense being referred to as "fair and balanced." If nothing else, I am opinionated and myopic.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I suppose Fox News has ruined that phrase for you.

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fox News makes a mockery of that statement on a daily basis. I don't mind them having a particular slant on the news. That is their perogative.

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home