Wednesday, February 08, 2006

You Might Be Emerging If . . .

If you know anything about the emerging/emergent church, you will probably find this funny. I fit about two-thirds of the criteria. I don't qualify for the other third because I'm not young enough, not hip enough, or not brain-dead enough.

OK, so I just ticked off a lot of emergent folks. Complaints and counter-arguments welcome. You might want to get a little help with the logic part, though.

Sorry, I did it again. It's all in love. Peace-out.

(Hat Tip to Intelligent Faith.)



P.S. I'm not hip enough to drive one of these, but I did grow up riding in one exactly like this, but without the luggage rack.

4 Comments:

Blogger Josh said...

Funny stuff; but the subject of the humor concerns me deeply. I understand (I think) much of the motivation behind the EC movement, but I honestly believe that it is one of the most dangerous trends (if not the most) of the modern evangelical church. My hope is that is just an ideological fad that will go out of style in a few years. My biggest fear is the damage that it will do while it remains popular.

9:08 PM  
Blogger chris said...

I'm with you, for the most part, Josh. We can learn a lot from the emergent movement, though. The way I often put it is this: they have identified all the symptoms (the church's problems) correctly, but the essential diagnosis, and thus the prescription, is wrong.

I don't know if you were around when I blogged on McLaren & postmodernism. Look at May & June in the archives.

9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny doesn't sound like its all in love. Sounds like its all in judgment.

1:36 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Careful -- you might be judging me a little too quickly. Emergent folks need to have a sense of humor about themselves. No particular group has it exactly right, and I know you (anonymous) would agree with that. We all need each other, but we must be willing to hear criticism. The emergent movement has certainly dished out a healthy serving of it.

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home