Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Story of Stuff

Okay, I'm finally going to put this on my blog. It is an extremely well-produced animation/live video presentaion dealing with the effects of consumerism on the creation*. The propaganda is a little thick at times -- I wish they could have written this in an objective, scientific, and properly boring manner. But then again, who likes boring? I don't endorse the overall view of economics, but I think Annie Leonard is dead on target about things like "planned obsolescence" (you'll see what I mean). I watched this with my wife and it sparked serious discussion about how we can make changes in our buying. Perhaps I could do a later post on a Christian argument for creation-stewardship and responsible buying.

Here it is: The Story of Stuff

*I prefer the term 'creation' to 'environment.' The latter is so sterile and generic. Creation is a far richer concept and pregnant with meaning.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It looks interesting, and I plan to spend 20 minutes to watch the video once the kids are in bed. I will say, Sandie and i got sick of all the "stuff" piling up. We also started to feel guilty supporting China's economy. So, we stopped buying things from China. Amazingly, we have brought far less stuff into the house.

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link. It was quite thought-provoking. The industry/consumerism really hit home for me. Makes me want to do more research on the subject.

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home