Sunday, August 06, 2006

Church Quest 2006

I'm enlisting you, my brave readers, as fellow adventurers in our noble quest. Perhaps you can shed some light on our situation. And remember, whatever this is we're doing, it isn't church-shopping. Here's where we are in the journey . . .

Church #1 -- the Nice, but unstable church

We've visited this one three times. The preaching is sound, but a little theatrical and betrays what appears to be a lack of spiritual depth. Kids' ministry leaves something to be desired -- seems to assume all children have ADD. Music is a little dated and the worship leader has televangelist hair. Good denomination, no doctrinal reservations.

Church #2 -- the potentially dogmatic church

Not sure how old this church plant is, but it is small. Meets in the Mizzou student union, which makes it easy to invite students/faculty, but limits what they can do with kids on Sunday. The pastor, who we have not met, appears (from his writings), to be of great spiritual and intellectual depth. Traditional, which is nice, but we would miss some of the contemporary music in worship. The denomination is sound, but has a particular take on things that I don't see eye-to-eye with. It all depends on how thick the dogma is -- if they turn up their noses at lesser theologies, we won't be comfortable there.

Church #3 -- the fundamentalesque church

Large college ministry, not too far away. Sound, biblical teaching. Kids ministries seem adequate. A little on the narrow side. Probably not much consumption of adult beverages or Dostoevsky. Lousy website.

Church #4 -- the anti-Crusade church

Everything we could want, except that they don't like Campus Crusade for Christ very much. I'm just not sure how that could work. I know that I am not identical to CCC, in fact I'm a bit of a maverick, but I believe in CCC enough to be a part of it. Also, a few relational difficulties with some folks there that haven't been resolved.

So, any comments?

4 Comments:

Blogger The Bearded said...

The only one I would suggest staying away from is Option #1. The others may have their faults, but some of it is speculation at this point.

Are these the only 4 options or are there others in the area? No need to rush these things...

9:27 PM  
Blogger Brent said...

So, I'm going to offer a slightly different approach just to mix things up a little. I'm not sure I'd even use it, but it might be helful to "think different" as a favorite company of mine would advocate.

You might try the denominational approach. If you have a stron affinity to a certain denomination, you could just choose that church in town and be willing to live with whatever its issues are.

I suppose the broader principle would be: choose the one issue that is most important to you and then be willing to live with the rest of that particular church.

I know where you are coming from and it is a unique church. Parity is probably not to be expected. Honesty, I really don't envy your situation. But I will try to pray for guidance for you..

11:11 PM  
Blogger Brent said...

P.S. - I think you may have a hard time enjoying church #4. Just a hunch.

P.S.S. - I love you guys!

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhhh, makes me want to go church shopping again. Maybe you should make nice with some of the philosophers and theologians in the area and start your own.... At the very least, you could have your own study/discussion group and make up for what may be lacking in whatever church you pick.

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home