Monday, June 11, 2007

The Sweet Tea Line

When I lived in Atlanta, Chick-fil-A was one of my favorite places to go, good book (or Good Book) in hand, and sit in the presence of the Lord. I reclined at a booth, savoring both the sweet fellowship of Jesus, and the sweet tea. I wasn't a coffee drinker in those days, so free refills on tea was as good as it got. Then I moved to Kansas. Needless to say, it was a big disappointment when I visited Chick-fil-A and found, to my horror, that I had migrated north of the dreaded Sweet Tea Line. Check out the link for a clever bit of cultural geography.

I propose that another cultural geographer should undertake the plotting of a "Boiled Peanut Line." I know for certain that it is somewhere north of Atlanta and south of Chicago. I discovered this in 1991, when I attended my first Chicago Cubs game at historic Wrigley Field. Walking toward the stadium, through the throng of street vendors, I couldn't find boiled peanuts anywhere! I panicked. How could I watch a baseball game without boiled peanuts? We might as well omit the seventh inning stretch! Of course, until then, I had never watched a game anywhere but Fulton County Stadium (may it rest in peace).
(Hat Tip to Evangelical Outpost)

3 Comments:

Blogger The Bearded said...

That's great! I don't think I've seen any studies or viewed any maps regarding this before. Thanks for sharing!

Also...regarding your comments on peanuts...I think you may have a future as a cultural geographer!

2:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

On the same topic, here's another similarly fun map regarding soda/pop/coke.
http://popvssoda.com:2998/countystats/total-county.html

6:28 PM  
Blogger Meade Skelton Haufe said...

I dont think the "sweet tea line" is accurate. It barely includes Richmond, VA- which is a TRULY SOUTHERN city- moreso than Atlanta or Nashville even. And you can get sweet tea in Pennsylvania of all places.

But anyways, I think the Mason Dixon line, has probably moved to around Fredericksburg, VA. Once you get past those dang DC suburbs you're really in the South.

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home