Monday, July 02, 2007

Dour-faced Library-dwellers

Setting: the Library. I'm working fastidiously at my laptop at something or other, when a friend trots in and over to my table for a quick hello. We exchange hushed greetings, and then, from a near-by table, I get "it." The glare. Our chatter has disturbed the sacred concentration of some cloistered scholar. I reckon he don't care to join in our visitation, neither.

I guess the library is just the place to go if you are of the dour-faced variety. You can cooperate in pristine silence with other folks who relish their sobriety like a fancy-wrapped present that's never been opened.

What pains me is that I've delivered a glare or two in my time. OK, more than two, but who's counting? I'm reformed. I've sworn off the glaring for today at least.

1 Comments:

Blogger derek said...

Thanks for this Chris. I know of these "dour-faced" people you speak of. When i see them, i'm a combo of anger and envy at how they are able to afford (both in $$$ and in time) to develop those faces.

For example, can one be married and dour-faced? I'm doubtful, as marriage requires a big enough time-commitment to keep one from becoming such a library vet.

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home