Sunday, January 27, 2008

Renaming the Blog

Okay gang, I need your help on this one.

I'm planning to rename and remodel my blog. I want the blog title to be more in tune with my calling and the way I imagine the blog's purpose.

I've come to see my calling in life as a bridge-builder, translator and middleman. I often find myself between two groups who don't understand each other, with one foot in either camp, trying to translate and make peace. I believe the Lord has prepared and groomed me for this role. My life has taken a somewhat circuitous path, with stops in an unusual assortment of places, ideas and sub-cultures, enabling me to step into the shoes of many different people.

Naturally, this has manifested itself in a love and knack for teaching, but it is so much more.

I want to bring ideas from the ivory tower down to real people. I want to help church folks understand and respect academic types, and vice versa. I want to help those who do not know Christ to see his beauty. I want to be the one who understands both sides of a debate, and can bring both sides together.

In light of these considerations, "Nihil Fit" ("nothing comes") just doesn't make sense. (It was originally meant to protray a certain humility about the origin of the blog's content.) I figure if I want to make my blog accessible, then the name should at least be in English.

So here are three candidates for the new name:

1. Middleman -- no explanation needed

2. Aqueduct -- bringing refreshing ideas from the mountain spring into the public square

3. Idle Babbler -- this is what they called Paul at Mars Hill before he spoke

I'm open to other suggestions of course. I thought of "The Bridge" but it seemed too cliche. I sincerely appreciate your help, gentle reader, in hashing this out.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

translation station?


the segue?

8:20 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I like it, but believe it or not, the name is taken!!!

11:10 AM  
Blogger Brent said...

So Aqueduct suggests flow in only one direction. How about The Courier, The Conduit or The Transporter (the latter may be copyrighted - movie and all). Or you could go with some symbol of peace-making like The Olive Branch or (humorously) Don't Kill The Messenger or something similar. I can keep having ideas, but should probably get back to work.

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about "The Chinese Finger Trap"?

...no?

6:52 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Great ideas so far. Although, I think I'll avoid any blog title that includes the word "trap."

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about "Bridge to Somewhere". Better than the bridge to nowhere our government paid for, and highlights that there is a destination you have in mind, where there is truth, goodness, beauty, and, ultimately, God.

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home