Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Is It Wrong To Believe That Your Beliefs Are True?

If you ever find yourself frustrated when Christians are criticized simply for believing that Christianity is true* (and by implication, that other religions are ultimately false in some important sense), then you will enjoy this post by J. P. Moreland.

* Of course, in many cases, Christians aren't being criticized simply for this belief, but also because they communicate this belief while acting like complete asses.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Johnny-Dee said...

How about this: it is impossible to believe any proposition if I don't also think it is true. In other words, if I don't think some proposition is true (i.e., I believe the proposition is false or I'm uncertain as to its truth-value), then I can't bring myself to believe it. For those who criticize Christians for believing something they think is true, then they are asking Christians to do the impossible -- believe something they don't believe is true!

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post made me glad. Never seen a funnier asterisk in my life!

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes I do find myself frustrated. Especially since this standard of subjectivity is foisted upon religion and is not applied to the rest of the world. I mean do people get angry when their doctor gives them a prescription (how dare he insist that I should take pencillin instead of Pepto Bismol!) Yet when it comes to matters about God, death, salvation, morality, etc., it seems that no one is allowed to insist upon the truth of their belief (for fear of being 'intolerant' of course).

2:29 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Yes -- you guys are nailing it right on the head. This is the fruit of a malformed concept of tolerance.

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home