Sunday, September 10, 2006

Love and Freedom

I'm pondering an idea for a paper concerning the possibility of mature, agape-type love without freedom of the will. If at any given moment of choice, we only have one option, what does that mean for love?

How would you feel if your significant other had to love you? Either because of God's control or because of genes and chemistry? Would this be akin to a love potion scenario? No matter how it seems to the potion-drinker, we all know that she was helpless, and if this is the case, then I do not consider myself loved. The question will always linger about unanswered -- how would she have chosen if she had not taken the potion?

I think that the essential feature of agape-love is the movement of the will. It is not a feeling, it is not something that just happens to you. It is something you choose.

1 Comments:

Blogger derek said...

Hey Chris,

I agree with you man. I have to say that my past strong insistence on open theism had to do with how decisive and pro-active (if you can describe Him that way) God was regarding saving me. He was passionate, he felt things, blah, blah, blah. Anyway, God is teaching me this lesson everyday in marriage.

I hope your life is good man. I am loving church history (did you think that you would hear that?). Take care.

Derek

12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home