Thursday, February 01, 2007

Star Trek: The Early Years

No, this isn't one of Gene Roddenberry's first sketches. This is evidence of my good taste even at the tender age of 5. I was going through a collection of stuff my mom saved recently -- my kids got a real kick out of seeing my old drawings and school work.

As you can see, Kirk is featured prominently here. I knew even then that he was the man. Or this could be an illustration from my own original episode -- an alternate universe in which the crew has been replaced by menacing, box-like androids. The ship is obviously my own improvement on the Enterprise model. I did away with that cumbersome saucer section. You should see this baby fly! 0 to warp 9 in 5.34 seconds. And look at that massive red . . . thing! Impressive.

On a side note, my early interest in Star Trek should have been a tip-off that I would study philosophy some day. After all, the show was nothing more than a failed marketing strategy for the American Philosophical Association.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for your mom for saving that stuff. I think mine met the landfill years ago. The only things I have left are a few soccer jerseys from the early years and a trophy or two.

By the way, Chris, has anyone mentioned that Greg Wiggles bears a striking resemblance to you? My mental image of you from the last time I saw you matches up perfectly.

10:23 PM  
Blogger The Bearded said...

That's AWESOME! Although I must disagree with the APA link...I'm thinking more along the lines of AAG. After all, they (Enterprise, Inc) were exploring new worlds and needed good mapmakers.

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Lori B said...

Good reading yourr post

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home