Monday, July 10, 2006

Simply Sublime

Well, we finally have our internet access hooked up. I'll be rambling & ranting at full-speed in no time.

I took my family to see Godspell the other night -- it was my first time. Even though I was familiar with the music, I was not prepared for the play's unsophisticated-yet-profound portrayal of the teachings of Christ. It was almost irreverent at times, which I liked, but in it's vulgarity and slapstick-style comedy, it conveyed more truth and more of the character of Jesus than many sermons or books I have come across. (Granted, the script has some significant problems theologically, but let's set that aside for now.)

For instance, while singing the popular tune, Day By Day, the characters were scattered around the stage, pantomiming a variety of occupations and pass-times. Shoveling, painting, talking on the phone -- they were all engaged in common, everyday life, all the while singing,

Day by day, day by day
Oh, dear Lord, three things I pray
To see Thee more clearly
To love Thee more dearly
To Follow Thee more nearly
Day by day

Note: none of the characters were portraying ministry-type tasks. Chew on that for a while.
Also note: the song was famously used by Ben Stiller in Meet the Parents as a impromptu prayer.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

Chris, glad you are back. Your post reminds me of a thought that I had today while listening to some Steve Miller Band on the radio. Does time really keep on slipping, slipping, slipping into the future? I'm not up on my philosophy of time issues, but something tells me that ol' Steve is a little off on his view. Thoughts?

9:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so glad you had a chance to see Godspell as a family! What a great show. We did it my freshman year in HS. The most heartbreaking scene in any show I've done is at the end, with Jesus on the cross, singing "Oh, God, I'm dying..." Also glad to hear you're getting settled, and hopefully comfy, in your new abode. My prayers are with you :)

11:49 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Bdub -- yeah, it doesn't make much sense to say that time slips into the future. If anything, it slips into the past. Of course, time itself doesn't really slip -- rather, it isthe slipping. I.e., the experience you have of one moment flowing to the next -- that is time, in my view. Of course, you know what Augustine said: quid est ergo tempus? si nemo ex me quaerat, scio; si quaerenti explicare velim, nescio. (What, then, is time? If no one asks me, I know; if I wish to explain to him who asks, I know not.)

8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home