Monday, December 31, 2007

Highlights

Well, as we approach the end of the year, here are some highlights (in no particular order) from 2007 and beyond. They're generally brief and I picked them either because they generated some good discussion, or I just like 'em. Vote for your favorite and make my day!

1. JP Moreland's Bombshell -- Are Christians over-committed to the Bible?

2. The Spirituality of Nacho Libre -- Nacho shows us how to live fully integrated lives.

3. Seeing God Everywhere -- I got no comments on this one, but it's one of my favorites.

4. Highlights on Community -- A previous collection on community.

5. Inference to the Favored Explanation -- How should Christians respond to the fossil record?

6. The Grace of Trees -- A short musing on how we see God's love in trees.

7. The Fear of Friendship -- How fear keeps us from enjoying intimacy with others.

8. Stupid Enough -- Why was the Da Vinci code a hit? Stupidity.

9. Banana Epiphany -- My spiritual experience while consuming a banana.

10. Sammy Sinner -- What kind of person is better-off in terms of living the Christian life?

11. Chronicles of Nausea? -- Comments on a negative review of the movie.

12. Mary Moments -- what does it mean to experience Jesus in every day life?

13. Trust In vs. Trust That -- what does it mean to trust God?

Best Videos:

1. Ted Haggard and Richard Dawkins -- Richard Dawkins investigates Haggard and New Life Church BEFORE the scandal. Unnerving.
2. Gondry Solves Rubik's Cube with His Feet
3. How to Get a Soccer Partner -- my absolute favorite video.
4. Preview Man -- comedian Pablo Francisco (sorry about the Finnish subtitles).
5. Kant Attack Ad -- Immanuel Kant: wrong for America
6. History of Religion -- watch the spread of religion unfold before your eyes
7. Hank Hill goes church shopping
8. Diversions
9. Ask A Ninja: How to get a ninternship
10. The Headbutt -- French soccer star Zidane takes down Materazzi

Best Searches:

Friendship
Marriage
Soccer
Video
Music
(Others?)

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I didn't see the Haggard interview first time around. I stopped it after he claimed to not be arrogant. That was about the best display of contradictory arrogance I think I have ever seen. I think I need to go shower now.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I concur. I only hope that, by the grace of God, I would not be so defensive in the face of my critics.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I still don't understand why there is such a dichotomy of thought espoused by members of both the religious and scientific communities. I suppose it sells their books and gets them minutes on the talk show circuit and expands their respective audience. It seems like such a manufactured struggle, though. If only they were smart, like me (see, I'm not arrogant either).

8:43 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

There are some who probably have such motives, but I think some see genuine, important disagreement worth fighting for. I am of the latter persuasion, but I don't see nearly as much conflict as Haggard and his ilk.

What strikes me as tragic is that Haggard's ignorance of science is matched only by Dawkins' ignorance of what it means to be a Christian, or any other sort of rational believer for that matter.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Agree. The lack of understanding by both parties was disappointing.

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see your blogging at full steam once again. I enjoyed the "Best Of" list.

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home